MARK CRICKET CLUB
Cricket Club ground, Vole Road
Mark Cricket Club was established as a part of village life in 1885, with the annual Mark Cricket Festival believed to have been the forerunner of the now renowned Mark Harvest Home.
The original home of the Club was the field opposite the White Horse Inn. During the 1920’s the Club moved to a field along Abbot’s Causeway and then onto Dutch Road before returning to the field opposite the White Horse Inn. The Club remained on this ground until the 1960’s before being forced to move to the playing field of Mark Primary School. Unfortunately, the small size of the playing field made playing competitive cricket very difficult. Being unable to find a suitable ground within the village a number of years were spent in Burnham-on-Sea, firstly at St Dunstan’s School and then King Alfred School.
For many years the Club has played on its present ground at Vole Road, thanks to our landlord, originally Mr John Matthews (deceased) and now his daughter Mrs Sally Stocking.
During this period the Club joined the Somerset Cricket League in 1983, with promotions gained in 1990 and 1993. A 2nd XI was formed in 2004 and joined the Somerset Cricket League in 2004, with promotions gained in 2006 and 2010.
The 2nd XI was formed as a consequence of a concerted effort to develop Youth Cricket within the Club. By establishing a Youth Welfare Officer and by joining the League’s 2ndXI Divisions this has provided competitive cricket for youngsters to enjoy and hopefully progress and develop into 1st XI players for the future.
Although extremely grateful to the Matthews’ family for their support of the Club, the provision of the field is only by verbal agreement, which doesn’t allow for the provision of facilities required of today’s standards. Temporary buildings are in place for the provision of changing and providing teas but toilet and showering facilities are off-ground.
In order to continue to attract players to the Club and provide facilities of the standard expected of today’s modern lifestyle the Club needs to establish a permanent home. This would allow for the provision of on-ground Toilets, Showering and Changing as well as other permanent facilities for the development of Youth Cricket with practice nets, all weather pitches etc.
To that end, using money bequeathed to the Club from the John Isgar estate the club acquired a field adjacent to the Mark 1st School in 2014. A Planning Application has now been submitted and the Club awaits the decision of the Parish Council and Sedgemoor District Council. (January 2018)
Contact: Richard Cotterell (Secretary) for further information 01278 641000